Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best sampling rate for recording vinyl?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

poivre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: vinyl quality Reply with quote

greg.kento wrote:
hi everyone i have just one question: is vinyl not 96,000 khz?

i am also intrested in recording some old vinyl to cd and thought that vinyl was at 96,000 and cd at 44,100 khz?

please help, thanks

greg

hi greg,
vinyl is not digital , there no real meaning to talk about a sample rate,
in term of bandwith the vinyl can go to 18 or 22 khz i think, in theory a samplerate of 48000 KHz should be sufficient to capture the essence of the vinyl sound Cool
gadstylee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the higher sampling rates the better. But sometime will have problem playing it.
greg.kento

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"vinyl is not digital , there no real meaning to talk about a sample rate,
in term of bandwith the vinyl can go to 18 or 22 khz i think, in theory a samplerate of 48000 KHz should be sufficient to capture the essence of the vinyl sound"

so cd's can support 48,000khz then? what is the maximum frequency a cd will support?

thanks for your time, very appreciated.

Greg
poivre

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg.kento wrote:
"vinyl is not digital , there no real meaning to talk about a sample rate,
in term of bandwith the vinyl can go to 18 or 22 khz i think, in theory a samplerate of 48000 KHz should be sufficient to capture the essence of the vinyl sound"

so cd's can support 48,000khz then? what is the maximum frequency a cd will support?

thanks for your time, very appreciated.

Greg

a cd has a 44100 Hz sample rate.
greg.kento

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"a cd has a 44100 Hz sample rate."

if a cd can support 44,100 maximum, is there any point recording at 48,000 khz? surely the essence as you say will be filtered to 44,100?

also may i have your opinion on this please?

if i recorded a vinyl at 96,000khz (maximum on my creative external 24 soundcard), then burnt it to cd, then played it on a cd player...would i get white noise/hissing where the cd player is not able to pick up all of the range of the recording?

please advise, thanks

Greg
ADWells

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Frequency Reply with quote

Just as a comment, we seem to have a bit of a problem with stating frequencies.

96,000 kHz = 96 MHz, and, as far as I know, sound does not go up this far. I don't know what the limits of air are, but certainly, this is WAY beyond human hearing.
It should be 96,000 Hz or 96 kHz. When the specs say that CDs 'operate' at 44,100, that should be 44,100 Hz or 44.1 kHz.

As far as vinyl is concerned, from what I remember, at one stage JVC was going to bring out a 4-channel system where the 2 extra channels would be recorded as FM signal on top of the 2 standard audio channels. They were going to use a carrier frequency of 15 kHz, so they didn't expect any audio frequencies of this or above to be of any importance. I also assume they weren't too worried about full frequency response in the FM channels.

They only expected the records to last about 30 plays, and they produced stats to show that the average record was only played about 10 times. RCA wanted the recors to last 100 plays. I think the system was never implemented. Anyhow, it shows that the limits of vinyl are well below that of a CD.
poivre

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you more information about that JVC 4 channel never-implemented system ? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Other topics :