Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do i do a batch operation to lower the volume of .wavs?

dudeman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: How do i do a batch operation to lower the volume of .wavs? Reply with quote

I'm trying to lower the volume of all the Windows XP sounds from the folder C:/Windows/Media. I went to Tools, Batch Processor, selected my Source and Destination folder as C:/Windows/Media and chose the function 'Normalize -6dB'. But afterwards I tested the new files and they were louder instead of softer! I thought a negative dB would make the volume lower. I ran the batch operation several times but it still didn't lower the sound.

Then I tried editing a single file. I opened it and went to Process, Volume, -6dB. There was no change. The oscilloscope (I think that's what you call it) of the .wav file did not change in size at all. I went to Custom and chose -20dB and it still did not change. Then I went to Process, Normalize, -6dB and again it made the sound louder. Then I fiddled around with the Custom setting and found that the .wav file's default setting is somewhere around -9dB to -10dB. So I would have to pick a value of -10dB or lower to decrease the sound. I picked -20dB and then it did decrease the sound of the .wav file. But how do I do this in Batch Processor? There is no custom setting and I don't want to edit each .wav file one by one. Can anyone help?
poivre

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The normalize feature serves different purpose than the volume feature!
i found you have to do a selection before changing the volume (CTRL+A if you want to select all the wav file)

for batch processing i don't know, i think it can be possible, i'll tell you if i found how to do it
jonty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to download a VST plugin.

There are 15 and 31 band eq's here with volume control.

-http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/downloads.php/id/4346/software/31-Band-1-3-Octave-Master-EQ/

Just leave the eq flat and turn the volume up and down with the volume knob.

That will change the relative volumes of all your files in batch mode.

There is a better solution but I can't find it right now..
dudeman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jonty that worked, although it took a little bit of figuring out. (You didn't tell me how to load the plugin or what function to pick.) It's strange, the reason I downloaded Wavosaur in the first place was because of this review -http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,66026-order,1-page,1/description.html
that said I could edit the volume of the Windows .wav files in a batch process by lowering it 6dB but the review never said anything about downloading a VST plugin or how lowering it -6dB actually makes the files louder so I wonder how he did it in the first place.
jonty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would take all the fun out of it if I told you everything. Very Happy

Glad you could get it to do what you wanted..

If you want to use the Process, Volume tool you have to go to Edit, Select All first..

I haven't used that in batch mode so I have no idea how it works then.

If you want more than six db's of boost or cut you can always run more than one instance of the equalizer at the same time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Other topics :