Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audacity vs Wavosaur

sl23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Audacity vs Wavosaur Reply with quote

I recently needed to edit a few hundred multisamples to split them and remove the silence.

First, could you tell me if Wavosaur is lossless? I mean does it reencode files after editing or does it simply edit the original file? Like WaveShop or mp3DiretCut do?

Anyway, as I was saying, when I had to split the multisamples I found Audacity far easier to use, couldn't figure out how Wavosaur does it. Audacity automatically marked the samples start and end points then simply exported those samples as seperate files, an absolute doddle! Can Wavosaur do this or not?

After I'd split and saved all these samples, Audacity fell flat when it came to removing the silence. Sorry not so much that operation but the fact it had to save the file as another seperate file. Wavosaur seemed to just edit the file then save and was superb, easy to use and extremely fast.

I was hoping to replace Audacity as Wavosaur seems lighter and faster, but I'm concerned about the two things mentioned above:
1. Lossless editing
2. Splitting multisamples

If Wavosaur can mark and split MS's perhaps it could be easier to figure out how it's done?

Thanks for a fantastic app Very Happy Okayyyyyy

EDIT:
Could I just add a couple requests in here too please Question
1. Customisable Toolbars - needed buttons only. Could add Favourites Toolbar to add needed buttons then hide all other TB's
2. Lockable Toolbars.
3. Tabbed windows option instead of the 'floating' windows - one thing I actually dislike about Wavosaur.
4. Relative paths.
5. Any chance of either making a launcher for PortableApps.com Menu or giving them permission to do so?

Thanks

Scott
Wavosaur Main Developer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for all these comments.
Note that Wavosaur engine is lossless: only the mp3 encoding is with losses (like all other mp3 encoders).

What do you mean about splitting multisamples?
http://www.wavosaur.com
sl23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had recorded around 250 sounds from my Roland MC-909 Hardware Synth a few years ago. I only recently got round to sorting them out! I recorded around 10-15 secs of a sound at key C1, still recording, I then recorded 10-15 secs at C2, C3 and C4. So basically I had 4 samples joined as a single track or sound.

So I needed to split these so I had 4 samples instead of a single sound. I used Audactity's Analyse/Sound Finder function which gave me a second track with sample start and end labels I could adjust, though I rarely needed to. Then I used Export Multiple to automatically save each section with the sound in to a seperate file.

Sorry, does my explanation make sense? If not maybe you could try it yourself? D/l AudactyPortable and follow these steps to see what I mean:

1. Record 4 keys with spaces between.
2. Go to the MenuBar, click Analyse and select Sound Finder. You may need to adjust settings depending on the recording.
3. Then finally go to File menu and select Export Multiple. A window appears for each file in case you want to add tags/info, just click ok for each and you're done Wink

So each waveform originally was like this:
C1/Silence/C2/Silence/C3/Silence/C4.wav

After editing I ended up with 4 seperate files with NO silence either beginning or end of each sample.
C1.wav
C2.wav
C3.wav
C4.wav

How is this accomplished in Wavosaur?

Btw, what is your opinion on permission for a PortableAppsLauncher for Wavosaur? It'd be great if you would allow this to go ahead officially Wink

mp3 Direct Cut can edit mp3's losslessly. Is this something you could add to Wavosaur?

Thanks for listening bigrin
Wavosaur Main Developer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: use markers Reply with quote

It's possible to do region export with Wavosaur:
Menu:
1. Tools->Auto detect region->Custom
>> Enter your parameters and markers are inserted between all the detected region

2. File->Export->Export all regions
>> A dialog bow appears and ask you the path and the root name for all the different files.

That's all! Very Happy

All the files will be created with "new_Mxxx.wav" file name.

No permission are given in the forum.
sl23

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, thanks for the tip I couldn't figure that out Bang to the beat drum

Re permission, would you prefer the launcher dev to email a request with a full description of how it works or are you against the whole idea?
Wavosaur Main Developer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can send email to contact@wavosaur.com for all these points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1