Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I record in Stereo? Getting desperate here.

yanmac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: How do I record in Stereo? Getting desperate here. Reply with quote

OK, so I quit Audacity because despite help from [i]their[/i] forum and following the tips it gave I [i]still [/i]couldn't record in stereo. Some recommended trying Wavosaur and I seem to still have the same problem.

I checked a known stereo track on you tube, plugged my laptop into my amp and it definitely came out in stereo so my laptop [i]can[/i] do it apparently.

Any help would be hugely appreciated
FordMustang

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the problem ?

you can record in stereo
yanmac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: How do I record in Stereo? Getting desperate here. Reply with quote

Cool. Can you 'talk' me through how? Whenever I play a track back it always comes out in mono. Very annoying!
yanmac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone else help?
FordMustang

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wavosaur.com/quick-help/record-audio.php
yanmac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for this, although I managed to get a pdf copy recently. Thing is, it doesn't mention anything about how to record in stereo.

Incredibly frustrating....!
ChairmanOfTheBored

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Click record' is all there is to it. The settings are in your laptop's audio input controls.

Without more specific info, I can only give some general pointers. I don't have Vista, so some of my terminology may be approximate.

-First, do your interconnect cables have the right connectors (likely a Y-cable with 2 TS connectors to 1 TRS connector) and are they wired properly?

-The YouTube test verified stereo output, not input. Basically, you need a stereo input enabled (probably 'Line In'), set as default, the level adjusted, and 'Balance' centered.

In Wavosaur, go to Options > Audio configuration. Note the device name under 'Audio In'. This should give a clue as to the device that you need enabled.

I think that you've seen the following info:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Mixer_Toolbar_Issues#Using_the_Control_Panel

Pay careful attention to what it says about having the stereo source connected and then enabling the disabled/disconnected devices, setting one as default, and adjusting it's settings.

In Wavosaur, click 'Monitor input with VU Meter'. Press 'Play' on the stereo source. Adjust your laptop's input settings until you see activity on the VU meters. If 'Line In' doesn't work, try anything available (stereo mix, aux, etc.). Set 'Volume', center 'Balance', and then in Wavosaur click record.

If none of this works, then I recommend that you post back specific info about what you're trying to do and how your gear is set up. Good luck.
yanmac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIXED IT. Sort of.

Tried using a crappy old HP Laptop with XP, installed Audacity and LAME, recorded a very identifiable-as-stereo track, copied the MP3 to an external HD, plugged that back into my current laptop that uses Vista and played it through iTunes and low and behold it plays in stereo!!

So its either a glitch with Vista or my new(ish, and quite low spec) laptop. One of which doesn't like to or cannot record in stereo despite being able to play stereo tracks.

The recording settings in XP give you a much wider selection of recording options including the holy grail 'stereo mix' box to click that Vista simply does not have.

Solution? Do all my recording from vinyl via Audacity on crappy old laptop, copy all tracks across to new laptop and bob will be my uncle.

Jurassic Park!
FordMustang

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wavosaur can't record in mono Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1