Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the difference between VOLUME and NORMALIZE ?

piu_tyain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: What is the difference between VOLUME and NORMALIZE ? Reply with quote

What is the difference between volume and normalize?
I have plenty of file with different volume, i want them to have all the same level which is preferable to achieve a better result ?
grateful for any advice.

Piu.
toxonic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can do this with the batch processor in wavosaur using the normalize function:
- open wavosaur
- in the menue choose "Tools" > "Batch processor"

a new window should appear now, where you can choose the source folder (containing the files you want to process) and a destination folder (where the processed file should be saved to)!
note that wavosaur is only able to save to wav files, so if you choose mp3 files as source files, the processed files will be wav files. if you want them to be mp3's, you have to encode them again after normalizing....

- after choosing the source/destination folder you select "Normalize 0dB" under "Function"
- hit the "Run" button

now the volume of all files in the sourcefolder will be raised to the maximum peak level and saved to the destination folder to wav format!

p.s.: to the wavosaur developers - RMS algorithm for normalizing would be a good idea!
piu_tyain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much toxonic !!, will try that Very Happy
so i have to choose "normalize" , what is RMS normalize ? is it better ?
toxonic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my english is not so good enough to describe it.... RMS means "Root Means Square" , you can find a hole description here:
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square

two different soundfiles with same level needn't have the same "louness" depending on the compression degree of the soundfiles - the RMS method calculates a mean score of the hole soundfile as base for the normalization process. the peak method only normalizes the file depending on his highest peak impulse.
therefore the rms method is better to adapt the "loudness" (not the max. level in dB) of two or more soundfiles to each other!
hope you understood my description, my english is quite poor, sorry.... Laughing

Last edited by toxonic on Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wavosaur Main Developer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note your idea Toxonic for Normalize RMS.
Good!
http://www.wavosaur.com
piu_tyain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, i'll dig into this RMS normalize, thanks for the hints. I tried the method batch procesor + normalize 0db , it works well for me!! Cool
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piu you can also set up a limiter VST plugin in the VST rack, and then use batch processor to apply the effect (choose "VST chain" in the list).
toxonic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, yes - that's a good compromise, although it's not the same like RMS normalization, where the waveform of the signal doesn't change through processing. the limiter changes the waveform by cutting off peak impulses.
if you have no experience in using dynamic processores you can easily make your files to waste! so keep in mind, always to keep a copy of the original!
jonty

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: There is a freeware called MP3Gain Reply with quote

MP3Gain does what you want to do, normalize your MP3 files. From what I understand it is even more sophisticated than RMS normalization.

MP3Gain is specifically designed as a batch processor, is quite fast and runs in the background very well.

I use MP3Gain to normalize all my files before I submit them to Wavosaur and it works very well for me.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Other topics :