Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inter-sample interpolation while drawing

adejr

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Inter-sample interpolation while drawing Reply with quote

Currently wavosaur draws lines directly between samples in the waveform display if a sub-sample level zoom is used.

I'm not sure if a naive gdi function is used, in any case;

Alternatively an interpolation could be applied to display the waveform smoothly. Ideally a sinc interpolation would be used but even the simple hermite spline would have a significant effect on the quality of the wave display.

The sinc interpolated signal is the signal. this is what is actually represented by the samples according to the nyquist-shannon sampling theorem. The linearly interpolated values are useless, much more useless than showing a flat pulse for the period up to the next sample.

Wavosaur also allows you to select between samples, rather than selecting the samples themselves. This is fine I suppose, but it doesn't make sense. The sample itself is an infinitely fine point at the beginning of the period that can be currently selected.

I also notice it isn't possible to move sample points individually by default. This is an extremely useful feature for click removal and other sorts of trimming. This is like the pixel-art equivalent for audio. Shouldn't this be enabled by default?

Another simple example:

It should be clear which method better represents this sample of a sine.
FordMustang

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure ?
adejr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure about what? i can say for certain there is nothing i'm unsure about in the post.

would help if you were more specific.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1