Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a VST for manipulating speed?

Gman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Is there a VST for manipulating speed? Reply with quote

I was thrilled to find Wavosaur but a little disappointed that it does not let you change the speed of a section of a wave file, like Nero Wave Editor does, which unfortunately renders the sped up section as unacceptably distorted. BeSweet can only speed up the whole file in a conversion process but again, the sound gets awfully degraded. Is there a VST for Wavosaur with the capability to modify the speed of a section in an audio file?
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Do you want to use a time stretch/expand effect ? or just apply a pitch shifting on a selection ?

There are VST for time stretching but it's a bit tricky to use them in Wavosaur. We'll maybe add a native time stretch/expand in the future.

Don't hesitate to post audio examples of what you want.

Last edited by Rex on Fri May 30, 2008 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Accelerating a section of a wave file... Reply with quote

Many years ago, I recorded some guitar solos for EMI. To my ear today some of the phrases drag, and I would like to accelerate those passages, which means speeding up a bar or two here and there (Rubato). As I mentioned earlier, Nero Wave Editor 3 has this capability--speeding up a section without altering the pitch; but the sound quality of the edited section is awful. For my project, I don't need pitch shift.

Time-stretching (slowing down) part of a wav file might work if the whole tune were sped up first: that way, after speeding up the tune, I could time-stretch it back except for the parts I want to sound accelerated. This would accomplish what I seek from a different perspective. I could increase the speed of the whole tune from the 112 beats/min (BPM) to, say, 118 BPM, and use time stretch to get it back to 112 BPM, except for the parts excluded from the time-stretch editing, which parts would remain at 118 BPM. The result would be the same as having sped up the particular sections. But the latter approach requires processing the audio file twice, which I fear would negatively impact the sound quality.
GaryG

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Accelerating a section of a wave file... Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
But the latter approach requires processing the audio file twice, which I fear would negatively impact the sound quality.

For sure! :)

I guess as a guitarist you value your tone? I'd avoid unnecessary pitch shifting/time stretching like the plague.

I don't think Wavosaur is the tool for this at the moment, if it had native stretching or could automate a vst to smoothly achieve what you want then maybe so...

Personally I'd try a Sequencer/DAW with stretching (Cubase, Sonar, Reaper, eXT, Acid, Live...) Most have pretty advanced audio warp tools nowadays that should do just what you want. Thinking about it, Reaper should be able to do this for (effectively) free. Be sure to register if you're still finding useful after 30 days. Wink

.g
GaryG

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add if you want to do this as professionally as possible then the industry standards would be AutoTune and Melodyne (I think both available as plugins). Pricey though.
Gman

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the valuable info. I'll definitely follow your advice. My experience has been that price does not often reflect quality. I'm thinking of getting another PC, just for trying out new software because even Ashampoo does not remove debris after an uninstallation, and I hate to fill Windows' registry with thousands of keys that no registry cleaner I have bought can properly remove. One other option I am considering is to buy a USB connected mixer console that is recording studio hardware, but only if the feature I seek is available and doesn't severely degrade the edited sound. A decent four channel unit starts at about $600.

By the way, I just downloaded "AnyFLV encoder-player" that seems to do more than even "Besweet" for audio (flash video editor with a ton of audio and video codecs). "Windows Essential Codec Pack" is another freeware gem I found stable and useful.

Regards
metalkaline

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: my personal opinion Reply with quote

other editors got this feature... open the wallet (to soundforge and audition)
Smurf43

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could cut out just the parts that you want to work on, just effect them, and then reinsert them.....maybe that you eliminate some of the artifacts, since it would be a much smaller audio chunk? Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> VST plugins talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Other topics :