Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

some awesome free vst effects!

raygrote

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: some awesome free vst effects! Reply with quote

Hi,
Today I was looking for good free vst plugins, and happened to stumble across the MDA vst plugin pack. I'm not sure how many people know about this pack. I hope I'm not just wasting space by repeating what others have already said.
You can get the plugins here:
http://mda.smartelectronix.com/
Now, I haven't tried most of the effects, however I have tried some of the most interesting ones. The tracker plugin detects the pitch and creates a sign, square, saw, and other kinds of waveforms. So you could have, say, a monophonic piano melody and then be able to turn it into sign, square, and saw waves.
And from what I can hear it's resynthesizing the waves, so you get a very clean, digital-sounding waveform. Then you can add a waveshaper, and other effects to thicken it up and give it some character. I know it's probably not everyone's kind of effect but it's kind of cool since you can transpose the notes or change the options.
But the real plugin I like is the talk box effect. It's like a vocoder, you'll need to have the modulator (speech) on the left and the carior (music) on the right. No settings to play with except a wet/dry mix, which I just leave the dry off and the wet halfway up. What do we have? a nice, very clean, extremely clear vocoder! No scratchiness at all, and the clearity of the words just astounds me.
I'm not trying to advertise but i'm so impressed with this! I never thought I'd et this kind of thing for free!
But there are a few problems. First it can be a bit too much sometimes, a little too synthetic. You can try using the regular vocoder effect but that just sounds blurry, tinny, just not very good to my taste. And, the talk box effect seems to leave out the very high freqs. Nothing major, above 11 or 12KHZ I think is where it starts to cut off. But this may just be the EQ of the files, I really haven't done much testing with that.
Maybe there are other good vocoder vsts, I haven't done extensive testing with those. There's a Tal Vocoder plugin which sounds good, judging by the audio samples, but that crashes Wavosaur.
As a side, you can use the vocinput plugin, and then insert the talkbox after it, and now you have a nice voice resynthesizer thing. Sounds like something from the 80s. You can adjust the pitch and other stuff in the vocinput plugin.
Well, hope I haven't rambled too much, I'm just excited. I can give examples and instructions for these things if needed, as the vocinput and the talkbox combination did take me awhile to figure out.
poivre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDA plugins are my favourite :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> VST plugins talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1