Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanks from a total Noob

gelf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Thanks from a total Noob Reply with quote

Thank you for Wavosaur. I know nothing about audio but have been a computer hobbyest for over 20 years.
I came to use this free (donation-ware) program because I wanted to share an uncopyrighted podcast with a person having no means of playing an mp3. I order to get as much as possible onto a music CD, I wanted to edit out the B.S. from the podcast.
The podcast.mp3 was 16kbit and sampled at 22050Hz Mono.
I soon became familiar with the "chipmunk effect".
I played around and around and could not get the result that I needed.
I went to that other famous, open source, audio editor. I got the same initial result (which was helpful in itself) but quickly produced an edited mp3.
Because I liked the Wavosaur editing features so much I went back 'cause I knew there had to be a way.
I solved the problem and did it in a way that one of you experts would have advised me to do. At this point I have no real idea of what the settings that I made actually mean.

I used the lame DLL for mp3 encoding. Question: Why can I not export to MP3 at 16kbit? as I recall, the lowest bit rate was 20. 16 is good enough for voice audio.
sincerely,
gelf
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum gelf
We'll see if we can add the 16kbps rate.

you can go for 20kbps, it shouldn't take so much place.
gelf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply....

By the way.... For my project, all sample rates in audio configure were set to 22050 (sample rate of original mp3 file as reported by my player).
After editing, in changing the sample rate to 22050 without processing, I saw that Wavosaur saw the loaded mp3 as 44200 when it was actually 22050.
The resultant mp3 (completed project) reports itself as 16000Hz (in my player and if reloaded to Wavosaur). What's up with that?
(the other editor did the same thing)

It is not important... don't answer if you don't want to. I've come to understand that 44200 is a standard or should I say the most common rate.

And BTW #2... I can't export to mp3 at 20kbps... Wavosaur can't find the lame encoder. 24 is as low as she gow.

I'm not much of a forum guy... I hope this reply ends up in the right place./
gelf
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the samplerate without processing only update the samplerate information in the header of the wav file (if saved as wav)
For example if you change 22050 to 44100 without processing --> chipmunk

Exporting to mp3 is an other thing, i think Lame resample (to 8000 or 16000 hz) when encoding at very low bitrate. Maybe it can be also configured, we'll have a look at that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Other topics :

Thanks you :D (24-Oct-2006)
Thanks (02-Jul-2007)
Huge, giant thanks... (08-May-2008)