Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wav, mp3, or other - which format is best for audio editing?

kenoracle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: wav, mp3, or other - which format is best for audio editing? Reply with quote

I have just begun audio editing. I have several formerly separate .mp3 files that have been attached together.

Each consists of only clips of other .mp3 files, and live feed microphone work.

Inevitably, after attaching them together, or merely re-orienting clips and MIC clips, the audio degrades terribly, and the mic work sounds as if there is now a 'phasing' problem.

I have heard that .mp3 files are not the best to use for editing purposes.

To maintain my files internal integrity, and keep the audio sounding OK, which file format should I convert my files to PRIOR to editing?

Thank you.
ZooTooK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never save as mp3 when saving intermediat files/work i progress. Convert to mp3 only as final step. For mp3 try use at least 160k bitrate, preferably more. 128k is cleary degrading in most cases.
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's right, stick with uncompressed wav format as long as you can (from recording to mastering) , export as mp3 only as final step.
kenoracle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Related question - and thank you Reply with quote

Thank you. As I go, I will convert things that will be edited and then placed into the new project, into .wav.

Related question:

Arrow If I am merely cutting an mp3 clip and placing the clip into the new project, should the original .mp3 audio be converted to .wav first,or is it OK just to cut the .mp3 clip and paste away (into the new .wav project file) ?

Thanks again.
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best to do is to record as wav,
if the original clip are in mp3 format, try to avoid re-encoding several time.

when loading a mp3 for editing, it is converted to wav, it's impossible to edit directly mp3 at sample level (only at frame level)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Other topics :