Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wav file deteriorate when saved

L.Palo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Wav file deteriorate when saved Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for a very nice software with great potential!

Something I've noticed is that the saved wav file have lost information when it's reopened again. I've only looked at the waveform zoomed in max on amplitude and time. But it definitely loose peaks with each save.

What I looked at was for instance the reverb tail of a note that got more and more at the zero lines for each save/reopen.

Is this a bug or a feature caused by internal bit conversions?

I'm using wavosaur on both win 7 and ubuntu (through wine).
L.Palo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I've already found the answer to this in the libsndfile FAQ documentation http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/FAQ.html#Q010. It seems to be happening when a 16 bit PCM is converted to the 32 bit float when opened for use in the application and then converted back to 16 bit when saved to disk again.

Would be nice to know if this really is the cause of the effect on the 16 bit wav though, and if it would be possible to avoid in some way.

Kind regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> Bug Report All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1