Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recording with Emu 1616 and patchmix dsp on Vista 32 bit

zzz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: recording with Emu 1616 and patchmix dsp on Vista 32 bit Reply with quote

Bang to the beat drum and again Bang to the beat drum Despite being reasonably computer literate and half-way intelligent, I have found myself wanting to wave around a monty python mallet due to emu's software and Vista. Try as I might, I cannot get any sonic signal to register inside wavosaur. Neither coming from an outside source (keyboards, record deck) nor a media player on the pc, foobar, media player etc. This is doubly annoying since I can hear the things playing. If I load up one of my samples that I made on my old Win 98 pc (now dearly departed), it plays and loops a treat, so yes, the volume is up, the speakers are plugged in, and th ehardware is working, it just needs to be set to speak to each other.
Now, the emu card is a brilliant piece of kit, but it was a bugger to set up with vista. Got there in the end, and then I loaded on Sonar, and it was slightly less of a pain to set up, but once I had trawled the net (again), and realised that while patchmix is complicated and powerful, it's also one of the most beginner unfriendly packages I've come across. Stock replies are:
1. Read the manual - check
2. Read the sound on sound article "Emu's patchmix demystified" - check
3. Follow the instructions on the "setting up patchmix for stereo asio recording" page - check
4. Find as many forums as you can, because nothing works....

Can you help?
I think that part of the problem is when I click on audio configuration, it says simply "E-MU ASIO" under audio out, ans Wave (E-MU E-DSP Audio Processo" [that's as far as it gets] under audio in.
In classic view of control panel, it just says that the emu is working, under recording, and playing sounds. Everything has the latest drivers and the software is patched up to date. The 1616 unit itself is fantastic, lots of different inputs and outputs, but surely some of these, or at least the internal pci card that the 1616 box is linked to, should show up in the audio configuration box?
I've set the sample rate to 48000, same as the card settings, the buffer size is 1024 out, and 2048 in, I've ticked in the asio driver box, and kept real time resampling ticked.

One other thing, the vst scan showed up nothing, even though I have sonar pro suite installed, and all the vsts that came with. That's probably a vist thing, with half of sonar being forced to inhabit strange folders, I had to show some of the cakewalk software where it's own stuff is, and it still has problems, even though this is the updated vista friendly (!) version.

Anyway, I'm fed up with banging my head on the wall, hence this post. By the way, I do like this editor, from the bits I've been able to do with my old home-made samples (they are a series of sound effects I made for custom levels in the original Unreal Tournament). For some reason, Emu didn't include one on the install, even though they are now owned by creative, whose editor for the xi-fi card in my xp pc is not as good as the one for my original 'live' card...go figure. I look forward to seeing if you can help me sort out this mess, thanks in advance.
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

i don't know the emu patchmix system, is it comparable to the egosys directwire system ? --> this "directwire" gives all the software input/output (asio, mme, other) in a graphical interface and you can route some virtual cables between the inputs and outputs.

For the moment Wavosaur can use ASIO outputs but not ASIO inputs, the input you can see in Wavosaur are the mme inputs.

About the VST scanning, you may have to set the folder to scan in menu -> options -> editor configuration, then do the scanning.
zzz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response, I'll try all the alternatives without the asio box ticked, but it may be that. Having said that, I've had no joy with a couple of other editors, either, although I must admit, I don't get on with audacity very well, it's like cubase and photoshop, just thinks differently from me!
Patchmix is like a virtual mixing desk, very flexible, and has fantastic capabilities, but from a beginner's pov (me at the moment), it's an absolute nightmare. You'd probably get somewhere just as quickly if you added in sends and returns at random. If you know anyone with one of the emu cards, have a look, and you'll see what I mean. It's probably better with xp, because it really didn't like being set up with vista, although it's performed admirably at the stuff I've figured out. For something as simple as recording incoming, or playing sounds though, it's thumbing its nose at everyone. The emu people should be forced to a week's underwater soot juggling for punishment Mad
Andreas

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked it:
Locate the channel you want to record from, add a send in one of the slots and choose HOST WAVE L/R.
Works fine here with a EMU 1820.

Andreas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Other topics :