Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

serious problem when downsampling

peter_v

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: serious problem when downsampling Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm trying to downsample 48 kHz wav loops to 44.1 kHz, however, the process results in damaged sound with a lot of hisses and cracks and so on (even when playing back outside Wavosaur). The same problem also occurs when I try to play back a 44.1 kHz mp3 file but my audio output setting is set to 48 kHz, so I suppose this has something to do with the internal resampling algorithm.

Please tell me if doing a good resampling is by any means possible with the otherwise fantastic Wavosaur, or if it's a bug, then please recommend me a free wav editor/downsampler that preserves looping points.

(the same problem did not occur when I resampled my file with Audacity or ffmpeg, but they both removed all loop markers)

Thanks,
Peter
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

This should not happen, can you send us the file so we can test ?
it's the first time we see this kind of bug

Quote:
The same problem also occurs when I try to play back a 44.1 kHz mp3 file but my audio output setting is set to 48 kHz

whre do you set the output settings to 48 khz, in Wavosaur, or on your soundcard driver
it happens in Wavosaur for all 44100 files played @ 48 khz ?
peter_v

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

Yes, it happens to all 44.1 kHz files played back at 48 kHz. I did not adjust anything on my sound card driver itself, I did all modifications inside Wavosaur. The noise problem reflects too when I play the resulting file back in WinMediaPlayer or any other software.

Here is an organ pipe sample at 48 kHz:

http://uploading.com/files/R81Q4R2P/organpipe_48kHz.wav.html

And here is the exact same sample after resampling:

http://uploading.com/files/SPWTKQUL/organpipe_resampled.wav.html

(Btw, as I have said, resampling works fine with all other editors under both WinXP and Linux, however, they do not export loop markers. I have an Asus X52 notebook with an integrated Realtek sound card. I have Wavosaur 1.0.4.0.)

Regards,
Peter
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange, wmp doesn't want to play the resampled_organ, this is another problem not related to the one you are xposing but it seems there's a bug (maybe with markers chunk)

the organpipe48Khz plays fine in Wavosaur with Wavosaur output @ 48 KHz

the resampledorgan had some nasty unwanted frequencies, surely due to aliasing, make sure to use anti aliasing filter when resampling (we have to add the option in the batch processor, as it's only available from the Process menu for the moment)

i resampled the organ48khz to 44100 with filter and it sounds fine.
peter_v

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

I tried that, but it still has the same noise... Here is what I had after downsampling the file with the high quality anti-aliasing filter set (sounds basically the same to me as organpipe_resampled).

http://uploading.com/files/WY82R59Y/organpipe_withHQantialias.wav.html

Regards,
Peter
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choose also "interpolation - band limited", i forgot to tell about this.

i resampled the 48khz file to 44100 : it sounds ok http://www.wavosaur.com/download/organpipe_resampled_44100Hz.rar

and it plays well in WMP, still don't know why the precedent file do not play in wmp
peter_v

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

Thanks a lot, now it did the trick for me too! Do you know when this feature will be added to the batch processor? It would be incredibly useful as I'd have to resample hundreds of files with these settings.

Thanks again
Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Other topics :