Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Surprises with sines and spectrum analisys

meca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Surprises with sines and spectrum analisys Reply with quote

Hello:

I am creating an audio app, it makes different waves. Trying different things with Wavosaur I got this surprise:

If I create a sine wave (let's say 1000hz and 16 bits) in wavosaur and do the spectrum analysis, u see a beatiful sine. If u save this to file, open it and do the same spectrum analysis you see the noise spread in all higher frequecies.

Then I don't know what wavosaur exactly does. The first analysis is so perfect that is very theorical since it doesn't add dither but has cero noise nor even cuantization noise in the higher frecuencies.

What is wavosaur doing that gives u a different spectrum analysis once saved and opened the file?

Thanks in advance.
L.Palo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably related to my bug report on http://www.wavosaur.com/forum/wav-file-deteriorate-when-saved-t1107.html and most likely has to do with conversions between 16 bit file and 32 bit floating when opened and then converted back to 16 when saved.

As such it's not really a bug, but an annoying feature of mathematics and rounding errors. But maybe the developers ought to investigate the matter?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1