Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Feature Requests about Metadata

tommyD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Two Feature Requests about Metadata Reply with quote

Two Feature Requests about Metadata:

1) Labelling Markers

The ability to label/name markers (i.e. “Kick”, for instance, instead of “M0”) would be useful.

2) More Metadata

The ability to add more types of metadata to .wav files would be very useful for samplists.
At the moment Wavosaur can add markers, loop points and loop direction; the ability to add the following as well would be really handy:

- tempo in bpm
- number of beats
- sampler root key(s) i.e. min & max keyrange

Thanks once again for all your hard work on Wavosaur.

td

EDIT: I've just noticed that forum member Skaven252 has already suggested 1) (Credit where it's due, an' all that Wink ...)

Last edited by tommyD on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's somrhing we have to improve, with the last release there was lot of other things to do so we haven't worked yet on that part.

i can't remember if the tempo in bpm & number of beats are 'standard' metadata , i think they are.
tommyD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex wrote:
Yes that's somrhing we have to improve, with the last release there was lot of other things to do so we haven't worked yet on that part.

Cool. That would be supersweet Cool

(...)

EDIT: Deleted. I've just had another thought but I think it deserves a new post...

EDITed again: ...see below (Regions and Markers)

Last edited by tommyD on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Wavosaur Main Developer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For point 1 & 2, it is something that we are analysing, but (because there is always a 'but'), to be compatible other wav standard and soft we have to work. I don't know now if it exists a standard chunk for that, used by others competitors... If yes, we have to find it!

It is something in the pipe!
http://www.wavosaur.com
tommyD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavosaur Main Developer wrote:
It is something in the pipe!

Very Happy
ZooTooK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding renaming markers it would be nice if there was a way to automaticly rename them as when you add one inbetween to existing once the sequence numbering get corupt. And when you export all the sections to separate wav's it's difficult to keep track.

It nice to be manually rename them but if you have like 15 markers and you add one in the beginning - it's 15 to rename....
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we have to think about a "reorder" feature,
tommyD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZooTooK wrote:
Regarding renaming markers it would be nice if there was a way to automaticly rename them as when you add one inbetween to existing once the sequence numbering get corupt. And when you export all the sections to separate wav's it's difficult to keep track.

It nice to be manually rename them but if you have like 15 markers and you add one in the beginning - it's 15 to rename....

Good point.

+1 for automatic re-numbering.

Re: Naming markers. What I meant was:

Labeling markers with user-input text so as to easily identify different sections of an audio file e.g. "Kick", "Snare" or "Open Hat" in the case of a drum loop.

(...)

[I was going to post this elsewhere but I guess it makes sense to do it here now. Sorry it's a bit of a rant]

Regions and Markers

AFAICT there's no way at the moment to directly identify a continuous section of an audio file, at least not without creating a new audio file (i.e. using File > Save selection as...). Wavosaur can identify continuous sections of audio files as "Regions" but it cannot do so directly: a region is defined - indirectly and implicity - as being the section between two markers. (I think; sincere and humble apologies if I've got that wrong!). Which is not quite the same.

I think we need a way to directly identify (and label) continuous sections of audio files i.e. a way to directly define (and label) regions.

Because:

1. It's more logical. Inserting markers at the start and end of a section only really defines two points; on it's own it doesn't really say anything about what's between those points. If what you want to do is: "identify the section that corresponds to the first chorus of the song" that's not quite the same as: "identify the point where the first chorus begins and identify the point where the first chorus ends".

2. Suppose you want to divide up an audio file in more than one way i.e. to use markers and regions for different purposes. Say you're working on a four bar drum loop - you could use markers to identify the individual hits ("Kick 1", "Snare 5" etc.) and use regions to identify the different bars, or to identify the fill at the end etc.

3. Other apps and plugs can interpret this information (some better than others, of course; see http://www.wavosaur.com/forum/wavosaur-markers-in-other-apps-or-plugs-updated-10-07-08-t555.html).

(...)

In summary then there are really four related feature requests here:

1. Automatic re-numbering of markers
2. User labelling/naming of markers
3. More metadata
4. Better handling of regions: the abiliity to define regions directly, with or without reference to markers; the ability to label/name regions; the ability to insert markers or loop points at start and end of a region; the ability to export one or all regions as separate audio file(s) etc.
tommyD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...phew!

(Where's the emoticon for "exhausted"...?)
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naming regions make sense, i'll have a look at all the applications you named in this thread http://www.wavosaur.com/forum/midi-notes-export-based-on-markers-t662.html to see if a 'standard' emerges.
tommyD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex wrote:
Naming regions make sense, i'll have a look at all the applications you named in this thread http://www.wavosaur.com/forum/midi-notes-export-based-on-markers-t662.html to see if a 'standard' emerges.

Cool - thank you :)

Defining regions differently so they aren't necessarily dependent on markers would be great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Other topics :