Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DC removal and other questions

Scally

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: DC removal and other questions Reply with quote

I've just started using wavosaur and it looks like a great replacement for stuff I've been using before - Cooledit and Creative's Wavestudio. But I do have some questions!

I'm not sure how to read the statistics to see whether there is any DC offset - I can see that removing it changes the average value figures. I tried this by recording from 'nothing' to see what the residual noise is etc.

Second, I've just upgraded to a X-fi Music card and I wonder what ASIO drivers are, and do I need them? I see it is supported by Wavosaur.

The rest are just some observations of my first use:

Could the display show 'L' and 'R' or channel numbers so I know which waveform is wich?

Could the L & R waveforms be separated by a better visible dividing line, the two channels seem to touch and makes it difficult to see when zoomed in?

Could the recorded level indicators have a sticky 'max peak' line, it looks like the current line is some kind of moving average of peaks and moves down to fast to see it! Could this sticky max peak be shown with the oscilloscope whilst recording? That would make it easier to set recording levels, or have I missed something?

When zooming vertically, can the samples which are outside the vertical range be shown in a different colour so they don't look like the audio is clipped?

Could the statistics show whether it was likely that samples were clipped? i.e. if >1 sample is at peak level

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Scally.
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello & welcome, thanks for all the suggestions

You're right about DC offset, in the statistics it's the "average value" for each channel

ASIO drivers give a better latency, for the moment we have made the ASIO output support only.

For the L & R labels i don't know if it's useful, as the left is always the first waveform form top.

About a better separation between two waveform i think maybe the color choice for the separator line is a bit "dark" (when selecting!), a white line would be more visible. Don't hesitate to try other "skins" -> http://www.wavosaur.com/skins.php , about that i'll also add the possibility to change the color of this separator line in the skinosaur online

It's in the todo-list to have the vu-meter for recording! and also add a "peak indicator" (something like a LED that stay red if a clipping occurs)

In the statistics you can see if there's clipping : you'll have min or max value with percentage >100% (or < -100%)

About the vertical zoom i'm not sure i understand correctly, so don't hesitate to make a picture or something like this to illustrate the concept!

Thank again for all the suggestions!
Scally

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to attach a screendump of a vertically zoomed recording where non of the peaks actually clip, but the zooming shows them flattened and can be confused for having been clipped. If they were clipped in reality then I guess it would look the same.

Scally.[img][/img]

-ah, how do I attach a jpg image file?
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scally wrote:

-ah, how do I attach a jpg image file?

You can use http://imageshack.us to upload your image file and then post the link in the forum!
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vertical zooming "false clipping" bug have been fixed Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Other topics :