Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best sampling rate for recording vinyl?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

jonty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more point about soundcards.

You don't have to spend big money to get a high quality soundcard, I see older Turtle Beach soundcards on ebay quite regularly at very reasonable prices. The specs, even on the older models of TB soundcards are very good, more than enough for amateur recording of vinyl records.

The older soundcards go for such a cheap price because they do not have the latest bells and whistles such as 7.1 sourround and the the like built in. But we do not need such doodads for recording, what we need is a quality a/d converter, low noise, low jitter etc, things that even the older TB soundcards have.
Wavosaur Main Developer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extract form my last post:

I worked with WamiRack (Ego sys), Motu, Sound blaster (from 16 to 128), integrated sc, etc. and the results are differents but in general good (with same sources or calibrated sinus).

The price difference between a SB16 and a MOTU 828 MkII is important... Very important! You could have very good results with SB16. It is like common tools: the most important is to know how to use it!
The advantage of MOTU is the preamp (not very good for SB16...), all the channels, 19' rack format, fantom power supply, etc etc. It's not the same tools panel.
Just in term of analog digital conversion the differences are difficult to ear with full scale calibrated sinus (for line input).
http://www.wavosaur.com
poivre

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the infos!
about the turtle beach soundcard ,are they better than a sb16 ? i always heard sb are crappy.
I saw the price for the MOTU soundcards, i don't have this budget Crying or Very sad loooks good !
jonty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poivre wrote:
thanks for the infos!
about the turtle beach soundcard ,are they better than a sb16 ? i always heard sb are crappy.
I saw the price for the MOTU soundcards, i don't have this budget Crying or Very sad loooks good !

Yes, Turtle Beach soundcards are better then sb16.

For instance, I have a TB Santa Cruz soundcard..

http://web.archive.org/web/20090616074444/http://support.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/585114703.asp

Audio Converters:
-----------------
Dual AC-97 2.1 audio codecs with hardware full-duplex for simultaneous
record and playback at up to 48kHz sample rates. Stereo 18 bit A/D
converters for high resolution recording of up to 4 sources.
3 stereo 20 bit D/A converters for high resolution playback of up to 6
independent streams.

Audio Performance:
------------------
Frequency Response (A-A): 10Hz - 120KHz. (-3dB) SNR: > 96 dB FS A.
THD+N: (-3dB): >91 dB FS (0.0027%). Crosstalk: 105 dB @ 100Hz.

Digital I/O:
------------
48 kHz PCM audio or Dolby Digital(R) AC-3 for external decoder.

Here is one going really cheap on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Santa-Cruz-Turtle-Beach-Sound-Card
poivre

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$6.50 Shocked now that fits my budget Mr. Green
and what about their new products http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/riviera/home.aspx ?
jonty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poivre wrote:
$6.50 Shocked now that fits my budget Mr. Green
and what about their new products http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/riviera/home.aspx ?

I know the feeling about "fitting the budget". (sigh)

I just finished a mini-tutorial on ripping vinyl on Democratic Underground, a site I have been hanging out on for about six years now, it's in their Computers forum, you might want to check it out.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=242x14725

As far as the new products go, technology marches on, but if I can't hear the difference, what's the difference?
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember some old tracker that was working well with turtle beach soundcard.

Great article jonty ! very informative, i like the first picture

in this article you should edit the Wavosaur link to point to our website, it's not that i care having indirect link but when new versions are released, there's always a delay between the moment we spread the news about it and the moment other sites update their informations
i still receive new user's mails who have downloaded an old version with question about problems that have been solved in the 8000 :-)

thanks for these few hints!
jonty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex wrote:

in this article you should edit the Wavosaur link to point to our website, it's not that i care having indirect link but when new versions are released, there's always a delay between the moment we spread the news about it and the moment other sites update their informations
i still receive new user's mails who have downloaded an old version with question about problems that have been solved in the 8000 bigrin

thanks for these few hints!

Oops, I can't edit there after about a half hour, I'll put a reply up with your direct link..

Thanks for the kind words, I'm actually considering starting a micro business doing this. I had a post up today on a local board and already have someone who wants some 78s ripped.

I would imagine that most of your readers here could do this and maybe make a few bucks on the side.

Guerrilla marketing is where it's at, gotta learn to use those free advertising resources.
stron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Recording vynil. Reply with quote

You can find a decent 'crack and pop' remover at www.droidinfo.com. Its free for a 30 day evaluation period. I find it really useful, but you must record initially in wav format for it to work on the analogue waveforms and then you can easily convert to mp3 etc. Give it a go you might be surprised. Very Happy
jonty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried De Popper, it's not bad at all.

The very best I have found is Click Repair..

http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~briand/sound/
BlingMasterFunk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Noise Reduction... Reply with quote

I've just begun sampling some of my old vinyl for the first time. I'm going straight from the turntable to the soundcard. Is this a bad thing to do? The problem I have is that the buzzing from the ground is really loud when I normalize the sample after recording. How can I resolve this? Thank you.
poivre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need a preamplifier (preamp) between the turntable and the soundcard. Which input did you use ? the microphone one ?
jonty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Noise Reduction... Reply with quote

BlingMasterFunk wrote:
I've just begun sampling some of my old vinyl for the first time. I'm going straight from the turntable to the soundcard. Is this a bad thing to do? The problem I have is that the buzzing from the ground is really loud when I normalize the sample after recording. How can I resolve this? Thank you.

You really should be using a preamp to match the signal levels, impedance and frequency response from the phono cartridge to the sound card.

Just about any older receiver will have a phono input and a tape record output, you can pick up a usable receiver for just a few dollars at thrift stores, flea markets or even on ebay.

Without a preamp your frequency response is going to be very strange, there will be way too much treble and nowhere near enough bass. It is possible to compensate for this by including a reverse RIAA curve in the Wavosaur signal path.

It should be possible to filter out a lot of the hum in software, you want a notch filter tuned to probably 60 or 120 Hz (USA) or 50 or 100 Hz (most of the rest of the world).
poivre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No news from BlingMasterFunk ?
greg.kento

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: vinyl quality Reply with quote

hi everyone i have just one question: is vinyl not 96,000 khz?

i am also intrested in recording some old vinyl to cd and thought that vinyl was at 96,000 and cd at 44,100 khz?

please help, thanks

greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Other topics :