Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skips in Live Recordings

donde

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Skips in Live Recordings Reply with quote

Despite trying different buffer sizes and different audio drivers in the Wavosaur audio configuration drop down tool, I intermittently but frequently get little skips from a few milliseconds to as long as a second in my live recordings with Wavosaur. Sometimes they are just little hiccups or pops. They almost always occur between one and two and a half minutes into a song recording. Now I've been told that my singing isn't always spot on, but really!

I've used two different 64bit Windows 7 Pro PCs ( the latest one has a fast Intel I7-3770 processor, 12GB SDRAM memory, 128GB solid state primary OS and software drive (with 47 GB free) and a very fast SATA III hard drive for data, and yet the problem has occurred on both computers. I defrag the hard drive frequently. I use a Shure USB microphone with a Creative SB-XFi PCi-express sound card. I've reinstalled the latest version of Wavosaur on the computer. By contrast, I haven't experienced this problem with any of my other professional (but very expensive and more complicated) sequencing software.

Are there some different possible solutions I can try? Might this be a weakness or bug in the software? Wavosaur is an awesome, quick, convenient and easy-to-use tool to make excellent live audio recordings. I hate not to be able to use it because of this reliability problem that I've been having. Thanks for any help.
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

that's the first time we have this kind of bug.
are there any audio software running while Wavoasur is recording ?
donde

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there are several audio programs (and associated drivers installed on the computer), there are no other audio software programs running when Wavosaur has had hiccups on my PC. I have not yet experienced the same problems with my sequencer software. The Creative X-Fi is in the "Game" mode and not the "audio creation" mode. However one wouldn't think that should be a problem. One would also assume that the Shure PG27 USB microphone or its associated driver that I'm using wouldn't be problematic either. The computer runs on a high end power conditioning UPS. Windows shows no device conflicts and no error events. The problem doesn't always occur but has occurred intermittently regardless of changing latency settings or switching on and off ASIO drivers. The problem only occurs after a minute or more of live recording, almost never in the first sixty seconds. I've made sure that the flash drive, hard drive, memory and registry are all clean and defragmented also. So it would seem that there's some other variable involved. The only other thing I can think of doing as a user now is to try different microphones with different record volume settings to try to isolate the problem. Or possibly make sure there are no unnecessary background programs (such as e-mail client) running intermittently in the background. Thanks for your reply and assistance.
lunarladder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to try out: check the DPC latency performance of your system. http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Edit: also http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon (with this one you can track which component is the culprit, if you see there's indeed an unusably high DPC latency at fault). Yep, it's pretty improbable, as your other audio software seems to be working ok, but it doesn't hurt to check Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> Bug Report All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Other topics :