Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

unable to open audio driver in

underwhelmed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: unable to open audio driver in Reply with quote

sorry, chaps
newbie question here.
I got the error message 'unable to open audio driver in' when i tried to open a record file ( my intention being to test the function by playing a track and seeing how it recorded).
Do you think that this is a vista driver problem, a realtek soundcard driver problem (driver 6.0.1.5449) or a missing file in tmy wavosaur files - downloaded today?

The wavosaur worked fine when I pasted in a file - ie it played/saved etc

Would be very grateful for any advice - I've read through most of the threads but haven't come across an answer yet.

cheers!
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum

You can check that the right input in set in Options->audio configuration.
Tell me what you see in the "audio in" tab.
When you try to record do you have an other program running that uses the soundcard ?
underwhelmed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, and thank for the prompt reply
i've had a poke around, see below, but have not come up with anything yet. I think it may be the limitations of the soundcard although it is not a problem I've ever encountered before.

You can check that the right input in set in Options->audio configuration.
Tell me what you see in the "audio in" tab.
When you try to record do you have an other program running that uses the soundcard ?

If i plug in a microphone then the error ‘unable to open audio driver in’ goes away when i try to record. However, although i can get the vus to react to sound there is no recording, the time stays at zero how ever many times i operate the red button. (I assume i need to find a different thread for this bit?)
I am not using the sound card for any other applications. If i try playing something with media player and try to record with wavosaur then i get t the same result. There is only one soundcard fitted.
IN wavosaur config settings. The settings show – for audio out = speakers realtek etc
For audio in = blank unless a mic is plugged in and then microphone realteck etc

I’ve also experimented with the bit rate but this makes no difference and have left it at 4100
If i check the asio box then I get ‘unable to open audio driver in’

another thread said
My system uses the
SoundMax Digital Audio card that came with my Dell computer (Win.XP Home)
I should have looked at the >control panel >sounds and audio devices>audio>sound recording>
volume>recording control> and select the proper input source ( from CDPlayer to Wave Out Mix)

I tried the vista equivalent of this – ie control panel- sound- recording. The only available input source is Microphone, which is not connected as I’m attempting to record from soundcard. There are no other options-I’d expect CD, line out etc. I haven’t yet found a mixer section for the realtek soundcard, only the realtek HD audio manager which has basic settings for mic and speakers but nothing of any help! So help! Is the soundcard a lemon?
I tried installing asio4all but that does not fix it as it does not affect the audio in. The soundcard is recognised as available on the asio4all panel.
underwhelmed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and another thing, i can't hear what's being played through the mic input - that's got to be a soundcard issue?
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may try to see if new/better drivers for the realtek are available. I don't have Vista here i can't test, but this "plug a mic and then the audio input appears" sounds like a "wrong good idea" added to Vista.

About the monitoring (hearing the input) it's normal if you can't hear the input. Decent soundcards can monitor, but i think we may have to add a software monitoring (routing the input directly to the audio out in Wavosaur). For the moment you can visualize the level with the monitor button next to the record button.
underwhelmed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that!
I think it's just a combination of crap soundcard and vista - my lad's xp laptop can be used as an amplifier to play a walkman through even without any applications open.

A monitoring system seems like a good mod - to add to your ever increasing list!!!
cheers
Wavosaur Main Developer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested that on my Vista computer: to be correctly detected, something must be plugged on audio in: a microphone for example

Well now, I don't know if it comes from "another good Vista idea", or if it comes from my HP Pavilion...

We have to investigate that.
http://www.wavosaur.com
underwhelmed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, It's definitely my soundcard's limitations. I tried n track studio specifically for its monitor function and that doesn't work, even with sound through the mic in.

I've tried various drivers but to no avail.

I'll try realtek, but don't hold out much hope there. I'll post again if I get to the bottom of it.

many thanks
onopo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had this problem - came here to look for a solution, then had a fiddle myself. Vista, pre-installed, tends to NOT set-up the user as an administrator; check if you're set-up as an adminstrator - I suspect the problem may be that you have to be an administrator (or for your account to be high enough profile) in order for Vista to allow Wavosaur to talk to the speakers.

That's worked for me any way. I suspect I haven't explained it terrifically well though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> Bug Report All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Other topics :