Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

only part of a WAV file loads

mgc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: only part of a WAV file loads Reply with quote

Newbie to Wavosaur and really want to say thanks to Wavosaur. (yes donation on the way)

I have a 1.4GB WAV file (~2 hours). When I loaded it into a 2GB RAM XP system, only the first ~30 minutes loads. Then I tried it on a 6GB Vista-64 system (I thought more memory would help) exactly the same amount loaded. So that extra memory didn't help.

Question: Should I split the single WAV file (a continuous movie sound track) into smaller pieces, process each piece (compressor, normalizer) individually and then join the different pieces back together (into a single big WAV) before I send it off to encoding (to AAC before final muxing with the video part)

Any suggestion of a good splitter/joiner? I tried NCH's splitter but somehow it didn't work out as the split file plays only static...

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Michael
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, welcome to the forum

yes the better solution is to split the file into multiple smaller files.
there must be eficient splitter, i'll let you know in this thread if i found one
xpander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: only part of a WAV file loads Reply with quote

mgc wrote:

Any suggestion of a good splitter/joiner? I tried NCH's splitter but somehow it didn't work out as the split file plays only static...

I just tried NCH's Slice Audio File Splitter, worked fine for me. I used regular 44.1kHz/16bit wav files for my initial tests. All the individual parts, any from two to five in my tests, played back fine both individually and when joined back together. No static and no apparent split noise or glitches in the joints either.

However, I noticed that you mentioned movie soundtrack, which led me to think about higher bit and sample rates (DVD). Sure enough, when I tried a 48k/24bit file, the result was
-humongously slow processing, since the audio file was converted back and forth (with Direct X in my case, it seems)
-static in split files!

Further tests revealed that NCH's Splitter seems to do fine with higher sample rates, I went up to 96k with no problems at all. But NOT with higher bit rates...higher than regular 16 bit, that is. For example 24 bits is a sure no go.

Just to let you know. BTW, This NCH splitter seems to run also portable, which is nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Other topics :