Wavosaur home Wavosaur
Wavosaur free audio editor support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help a newby edit a sample ;)

Laurax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Please help a newby edit a sample ;) Reply with quote

Hi guys

I'm a real newby to audio editing, and despite looking at a few tutorials on how to use the software, that doesn't help because I don't even know the basics Rolling Eyes Kind of like using "word" when you don't know how to spell Wink

I made a .mod for a game on the Pocket PC using the following sample in Modplug Tracker. When I used the sample on my PC it sounded ok, but playing it on the Pocket PC, or even with Modplug Player, it sounds awful, like someone is grinding metal in the background! (so much for trying to make some mellow panpipe music!).

http://www.filefactory.com/file/e16b8f/

The above is the link to download the .wav, if anyone is intrested in helping me out, either by pointing me in the direction of a good tutorial, the correct "filter" in Wavosaur or if it's less trouble for an expert to do than to write, just cleaning it up for me, I would be grateful. I've already lost a day over this one sound, and it's driving me nuts! Please help Very Happy

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, welcome to the forum!

It sounds like a problem with aliasing, the samplerate of the wav is 8485 Hz and depending on the player, it can sound awful if not filtered.
I don't know very well modplug player nor the pocket PC system, but it's worth trying to check if there's options like "sample interpolation method: none/linear/spline" or something like that for the output.

Can you upload the .mod somewhere ? i'm curious about how you used the sample in your song.
Laurax

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: thanks :) Reply with quote

Thanks Rex, I'll have a look at that.

We have seven other tunes in our game which don't have that same noise, and they don't sound as bad when we play them on the Pocket PC, neither do the other samples in the same song. I'm sure that there is just a glitch somewhere in the sample.

The Pocket PC doesn't seem to like playing very (high frequency?) sounds, I have to be very careful which snare drums I use for example, so perhaps it is something there.

Thanks for your interest in the .mod I have composed... I have uploaded it here:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/3064cc/
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give a listen to your mod, thanks

I also forget that : you sample Pan.wav has a little problem with loop points, maybe the bad sound was caused by this.

I uploaded a new version of the sample with correct loop information : try to replace Pan.wav by Pan2.wav and tell me if this is ok!

http://www.wavosaur.com/download/Pan2.wav
Laurax

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Rex :)

It was really nice of you to try that, but I loaded the new sample and it doesn't change anything, there is still that metallic sound.

When I zoom in and look at the graphical representation of the sound, there are six points where it is darker that the others, when I play the sound, it is at these points that the "grinding" noise appears. I tried following the tutorial for noise reduction using REAFIR, but I'm not getting anywhere with that either.

I'm thinking of giving up on this and trying to find another sample which will fit with the music, I'm not even sure if it is possible to change it :/
Laurax

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I've found another sample that I'm going to use for this .mod, but I would still be interested in learning how to clean up the one I wanted to use before (It's just that it is no longer urgent), thanks :)
Rex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i listened to the .mod with modplug tracker, it sounds fine.
If it's ok when you listen to the .mod with your PC but not ok when listening with the pocket PC it's surely an aliasing problem with the "audio engine" resampling method, or other thing like that. Nothing you can fix by editing the .wav sample.

If you can capture the audio when playing with the grinding noise you can post it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wavosaur Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Other topics :